Current Listings (1)
CIMMS Research Associate – Radar Software Engineering
The Cooperative Institute for Mesoscale Meteorological Studies (CIMMS) at The University of Oklahoma is currently looking for a Research Associate to conduct collaborative research with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) Office of Oceanic and Atmospheric Research (OAR) National Severe Storms Laboratory (NSSL) in Norman, Oklahoma. The Research Associate will contribute to various Research & Development activities within NSSL’s Radar Research and Development Division (RRDD) associated with the Multifunction Phased Array Radar (MPAR) program and the WSR-88D Radar Product Improvement program.
1. Serve as a Radar Software Engineer within the Radar Research and Development Division (RRDD) of the National Severe Storms Laboratory (NSSL).
2. Work in an interdisciplinary team of engineers and scientists to plan, design, develop, test, and maintain software applications related to operational and experimental weather radars in support of CIMMS and NSSL’s missions.
3. Conduct research and evaluate emerging software technologies, assist with management of software-development projects, and document software-development work in the form of drawings, diagrams, and/or written text.
4. Perform related duties as assigned.
1. A Master’s Degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Information Technology, Mathematics, or related area
2. Or a Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Information Technology, Mathematics, or related area, and at least three years’ experience in software engineering and development, or related area
3. Understanding of software design, development, and testing principles
4. Strong knowledge and experience in C and/or C++
5. Knowledge of Linux/Unix Operating System
6. Experience in programming engineering and/or scientific applications
7. Ability to work independently and as a part of a diverse team
8. Strong interpersonal communication skills (written and verbal)
Applicants should identify experience and expertise with any of the following areas: all programming experience, such as Linux, Java and MATLAB, debugging and/or troubleshooting software using tools like gdb, ddd, valgrind, etc., testing complex software applications, programming with real-time embedded systems, programming firmware, and optimizing software.
Supervision will be provided by CIMMS staff. Technical oversight will be provided by CIMMS staff, and NSSL Federal staff and management. The incumbent will work under general supervision but is expected to determine action to be taken in handling all but unusual situations. Incumbents in this position are not expected to supervise other employees, but may serve as leaders
The salary for this position is competitive and will be based on experience, skills, and knowledge. Information on University benefits may be found at http://hr.ou.edu/Employees/New-Employees-at-OU/OU-Benefits-Overview.
To apply for the position, please forward your resume, cover letter and list of three references to:
Executive Director, Finance and Operations
University of Oklahoma CIMMS
120 David L. Boren Blvd., Suite 2100
Norman, OK 73072-7304
JOB REFERENCE: Radar Software
The University of Oklahoma is an equal opportunity / affirmative action employer.