Software Upgrades for the NWRT Phased-Array Radar
A timeline of improvements
NWRT PAR block diagram.
The deployment of the new signal processing hardware in 2007 marked the beginning of a series of software and signal processing upgrades on the NWRT PAR. Using a path of continuous upgrades with an average of two software releases every year (Spring and Fall), we have been gradually incorporating new and improved functionality to the NWRT PAR.
The following is a timeline of the upgrades, where only the highlights for each release are listed. Despite its critical nature, much of the infrastrucutre work is not listed here because it is usually transparent to operators and/or consumers of NWRT PAR data.
- A new storm-region (cluster) identification algorithm
- Automatic time-based scheduling of storm regions
- ADAPTS III: scheduling and processing of a detection scan for faster updates with timely detection of newly formed storms
- RTC improvements to reduce initial range of collection and to allow frequent PRT switching
- RCI client improvements to control and monitor system and algorithms
- DSP improvements for ground-clutter and range-and-velocity ambiguity mitigation
- Software infrastructure improvements to prevent data drops
- Adaptive pedestal control algorithm
- Reflectivity display through the user interface
- Surveillance function for ADAPTS and surveillance processing mode
- Improved noise-power calibration
- Level-I data recording using HDF-5 format
- Additional metadata on archived level-I data, which will facility playback of archived data with original processing settings
- Adaptive scanning using ADAPTS II (removes scanning strategy limitations of first implementation)
- Range oversampling with adaptive pseudowhitening (resulted in scanning strategies with 50% update times) [journal paper]
- Manual real-time scan control through the user interface
- Manual scheduling of scanning strategies through the user interface
- Ground clutter filtering using the CLEAN-AP filter
- Staggered PRT processing (not operational due to PRT-switching limitations)
- Interference suppression
- Noise-power calibration
- DC-bias calibration
- Range unfolding using batch-PRT waveforms
- Matched filtering
- Data quality control using the signal-to-noise ratio
Back to PAR Software Upgrades
ARRC team receives NSF award to investigate tonado debris
We recently received National Science Foundation (NSF) funding for our research project titled "Understanding Polarimetric Radar Tornadic Debris Signatures Using Modeling, Simulations, and Field Measurements."
New software release on the NWRT PAR adds improved adaptive scan functionality
The Spring 2013 software release on the NWRT PAR is now operational. Among other things, this new software release adds and improves adaptive scanning capabilities, a very timely accomplishment as we enter the busiest season for radar data collection.
See a timeline of upgrades
Argentina hosts International Symposium on Weather Radar and Hydrometeorological Warning Systems
SINARAME (a consortium of government agencies involved in the development of Argentina's National Weather Radar Network) hosted the symposium in Buenos Aires on September 11-13, 2012.